Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Devotional - Childlike Trust in God

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. (Matthew 19:14 NIV)

I have chosen to believe the things of God with childlike simplicity. Tell a child you are going to buy them say an iPod, they are gonna believe you. They will take that promise and run a marathon with it. Before you know it every man and his dog in town has got the broadcast that they are soon to be the proud owner of another 'soon to be bored with' gadget.

Very few children, at least the ones I know, would start analysing how you going to be able to afford to buy them anything you promise them. Whatever you say as far as they are concerned is the new gospel! Never mind that your grey cells may be chasing one another in the restricted confines of your brain. Oh, you may choose to toss and turn all night if you are one with loads of energy. Instead of snoring away, brain activity is hard at work, calculating and re-calculating how you going to pay for whatever. Meanwhile, the child with the promise, is very sound asleep. By your own words, you have signed your own 'no getting out of this one' warrant!

So let me ask you a question. Why do we choose to analyse, dissect, worry, ponder over the promises of God? Why do we try to figure out God? What I don't get is this. We sing off key at the top of our voices in church on Sunday, much to the irratation of the person sitting next to us. Singing songs with all our hearts proclaiming that we are children of God. Yet, frankly we don't act like one!

God promises us healing, wisdom, protection, and so much more, yet we come up with all kinds of theories why these wishes cannot be fulfilled in our lives. We even have the audacity to compare ourselves with others similar to us who have prayed, and apparently have not had answers to their prayers. And so start to doubt!

I made up my mind some time ago, I will be a true child of God. I had no choice. With situations I had no control of, I knew I had to trust God 100%. That complete trust can only come when we have the mind of a child.

And guess what? My so-called 'foolish' child-like trust built my faith in God. And God reciprocated. Who said God is not a God of miracles? Not I!

Signed: Child of God

© August 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home