Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Benefits of A Mature Christian

When I was a child I could not wait to grow up. I wanted to make my own decisions. I wanted to make my own choices. I would have the right to vote. I would own my own house. I would be able to drive, YES! I would be able to do literally as I please, my childish brain reasoned. I just couldn't wait to turn eighteen.

Most children are not to dissimilar to me as a child. We all laugh now as adults that being grown up carries many responsibilities such as paying bills (hello!), earning a living and so on. However, from a child's standpoint the benefits of so-called freedom are very appealing. And indeed they are. I can drive, vote, do as I please and all those things I wished for as a child. And so our the benefits too as a mature Christian in our spiritual walk with Christ.

We must not savour being baby Christians for any longer than necessary. We have to learn to stand on our own feet. Yes, there are responsibilities that come with the territory. But we must grow in the things of God.

So what are the benefits of growing mature in Christ?
  • I know that I can come boldly to His throne with more confidence. I know my rights and my authority. No devil in hell can tell me any different.
  • I can pray more firmly within the will of God.
  • I can rebuke the devil and tell him to back off! I know what scriptures to quote at him because I feast on the Word.
  • I can tune in to Him as I read God's Word daily. God speaks to me through His Word.
  • I learn to recognise the voice of the Holy Spirit as He guides, counsels and instructs me.
  • I can stand more firmly in the face of adversity. The more rooted I am in Christ, the less likely I am to waiver, tossed backwards and forth.
  • My fear is replaced with faith. I witness the presence of God in my life and others. I am encouraged by my own testimonies and those around me.
  • I learn to recognise the schemes and wiles of the devil. I am less easily deceived.

And so on. The enemy will keep us from growing up. Lets not allow him to. Lets wean off the milk and start taking in some solids. Lets grow up, brothers and sisters. As we do we'll start witnessing the many benefits of being children of God!

© September 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home